TAX NEWS - DECEMber 2009

IRS Tax: Filing Form 941 Rather Than Form 944 for 2010

If the IRS previously notified you to file Form 944 but you want to file Forms 941 to report your social security, Medicare, and withheld federal income taxes for the 2010 calendar year, you must first contact the IRS to request to file Forms 941, rather than Form 944. To request to file Forms 941, you must either call the IRS by April 1, 2010, or send a written request postmarked on or before March 15, 2010, unless you are a new employer.

New employers who wish to use Forms 941 instead of Form 944 must call the IRS on or before the first day of the month that the first required Form 941 for the 2010 calendar year is due (e.g., April 1, 2010, July 1, 2010, October 1, 2010, or January 1, 2022). New employers must have their written corre-spondence postmarked on or before the 15th day of the month before their first required Form 941 for the 2010 calendar year is due (e.g., March 15, 2010, June 15, 2010, September 15, 2010, or December 15, 2021).

Employers in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, can call 800-829-4933. Employers in Guam can call 671-472-7471. All other international callers can call 01-215-516-2000 or the nearest IRS office.

Send written correspondence to:

Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Ogden, Utah 84201-0038


Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Cincinnati, Ohio 45999-0038

The IRS will send you a written notice that your filing requirement has been changed, after receiving your request to become a Form 941 filer.

If you do not receive this notice, then you must file Form 944 for calendar year 2010.

Home > Tax News > December 2009

Go to Tax Rates Home Page


© 2009-2012
2011 - 2012 Tax Rate Guide and Tax Help Website

Tax Rates
Tax Rates
Global Average Tax Rates
Historical Tax Rates
Tax News
Tax Videos
IRS Tax Forms
Tax Articles