tax-rates-menu-l5Tax RatesTax NewsTax Videos
tax rates
Tax Rates Home PageIRS Tax FormsTax Articles

Home > Tax News > July 2010

Go to Tax Rates Home Page

TAX NEWS - 2010

Free Tax Filing For The Military

Active duty members of the United States Military can have their taxes prepared and filed free of charge.  This service is available on military bases worldwide through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) personnel, who have been especially trained in military income tax issues like reenlistment, nontaxable combat pay, military differential pay, IRAs, entitlements and benefits for reservists who have been on active duty for 180 days or more, military tax exemptions, early retirement, and more.

VITA volunteers can also help with issues like IRA Tax relief for military families, helping military families to qualify for relief of the 10% early withdrawal penalty on IRA accounts.  They can also help military families receive an extension of their tax filing date.  No fines are assessed on these returns for up to six months.

Military personnel can e-file their income tax returns directly to the Internal Revenue Service through their base headquarters or they can use Turbo Tax military free file.  Turbo Tax is one of several entities the Internal Revenue Service authorizes to file military tax files electronically, free of charge.

Anyone serving active duty in a combat zone who receives a notice of action from the Internal Revenue Service can return that notice marked COMBAT ZONE in caps, with their date of deployment below it, in red.  The Internal Revenue Service will suspend the action upon receipt of such notice via the mail.

The Internal Revenue Service has made a commitment to aid military service personnel and reservists in accomplishing their income tax duties without onerous or damaging financial penalty to themselves or families.  The Internal Revenue Service does not want to hound soldiers who are putting their lives on the line everyday, over their taxes.

If you are a member of the military and you and your family are experiencing any problems filing or paying your taxes, contact the Internal Revenue Service and ask for their help.
tax rates

© 2009-2010  2009 - 2010 Tax Rate Guide and Tax Help Website

Disclaimer  |  Site Map  | Contact  |  Privacy Policy